The following is a transcription of the St. Ann Cemetery located in Mount Cartier, British Columbia, Canada.
Mount Cartier was a farming settlement situated 8 to 16 kilometres south of Revelstoke on the road that lead to Arrowhead. It attracted a number of residents that originated from Galicia and Poland.
The settlement documents back to 1895 when the Saporito family settled in the area. They were followed by the Veltri family about 1898. Additional families moved to the area and by 1914 the first school house was built, followed by the little church of St. Ann in 1921. In 1928 the Mount Cartier post office was opened and remained in service until April 1966.
With the construction of the Mica and Hugh Keenleyside Dams the reservoir in the area changed and Mt. Cartier became another casualty of the rising water of the Columbia River.
The St. Ann Cemetery operated from 1913 to 1966 when it was closed and blanketed in preparation for the Arrow Lakes Reservoir.
At that time some of the interments in St. Ann Cemetery were relocated to the Mountain View Cemetery in Revelstoke.
The St. Ann Cemetery was one of the five cemeteries in the Arrow Lakes area that were covered with water. Before the water level was raised, the cemetery was protected with a flexible blanket of selected rock and gravel.
Mount Cartier is located south of Revelstoke. To reach the old settlement take 4th Street E south out of Revelstoke, this turns into Airport Way which intersects with Cartier Road. It was in this area that Mount Cartier was located.
This burial list was created using the names recorded on the memorial plaque commemorating the interments of St. Ann's located at the Mountain View Cemetery in Revelstoke and reviewing registrations of death from BC Archives.
The interments for the St. Ann Cemetery can be viewed as a pdf file here » interments.pdf
Last updated Feburary 2014